One of our customers had been complaining about excess water in his bilge and was keen to discover the cause. We immediately suspected the lower transom plank, which on these Centurys has always been a problem. The boat still had the original plank, and upon further inspection we discovered some soft wood. We elected to remove the plank and check for further rot, eventually discovering that the rot had spread to the lower transom frame, parts of the battens, and a few of the vertical transom
frames. The second plank up also needed to be pulled in order to ensure that all rotten wood was discovered and repaired. Replacement of wood was a necessity.
We cut a new lower transom frame and installed it, then scarfed a few of the vertical frames with new mahogany. We then cut, fit and installed new planks and built up a new finish, enough to adequately protect the wood and get an eager customer in the water. He is happy to report that is boat is now dry!